Lesley Dahlkemper

Posted by

(2)(a) For all incidents in which there is a complaint of peace officer misconduct by another peace officer, a civilian, or nonprofit organization, through notice to the law enforcement agency involved in the alleged misconduct, the local law enforcement agency or the Colorado state patrol shall release, upon request, all unedited video and audio recordings of the incident, including those from body-worn cameras, dash cameras, or otherwise collected through investigation, to the public within twenty-one days after the local law enforcement agency or the Colorado state patrol received the request for release of the video or audio recordings.

Section 24-31-902 – Incident recordings – release – tampering – fine

How to do it:

  1. Inform LE agency in writing that you complain about the incident, i.e, officer’s conduct. (Can’t find incident definition; I assume that includes every legitimate crime report and communication/contact with a police officer (as defined). The law does not say you need to describe what you are complaining about, i.e., you need the recording to clarify that. 24-31-902, 24-31-903 if in-person contact, 13-21-131 (civil action deprivation of rights), 24-31-303 (untruthfulness and possibly more), 24-4.1-302.5, 24-31-113 (public integrity patterns and practices), 24-31-307 ???, 24-31-309 (LE may make contact for enforcing or investigating law violations). Personally, I will write down somewhere on this site everything I don’t like.
  2. The law doesn’t say a complaint and a request for recordings must be made separately or consecutively. I am going to try it both ways, working backward for recent incidents.
  3. A civil complaint has to have a dollar or injunctive component…

Leave a Reply